Saturday, November 13, 2004

Pier 1 Quiz

I went to Pier 1 and bought a few candles recently. Not my usual sort of activity. In fact, aside from a few Chrsitmas gifts over the years, I don't think I've ever actually bought candles before. Not for myself anyway. You candle-shopping veterans may scoff at my ignorance, but I simply was not preapred for all the frufru fanciness to describe the various scents of these candles. I thought each scent would be limited to one word, like "Cinnamon" or "Peach" or something like that. Nope, each Pier 1 candle apparantly is a heady blend of about 8-12 spices and scents, most of which I had never heard of. Candles with names like "Asian Spice", "Riverwood" and "Waterberry" each had a list of about 10 sub-ingredients, such as "White Quince", "Warmed Musk" and "Lively Green Basil". All combining masterfully, I suppose, to create a unique, one of a kind candle fragrance.

The Pier 1 candle marketers need to ease up off the gay.

As a service to all holdiay candle shoppers, I offer this quiz:

Pier 1 Candle Fragrance? Or Shakespearean Character?

Imogen
Anise
Jonquil
Ajax
Muguet
Caliban
Mopsa
Vetiver
Nutmeg
Seacoal
Cyclamen
Dr. Pinch
Froth
Freesia
Bergamot
Sugarsop
Tuscan Herb
Alarbus
Lysander
Sir Falstaff
Fir Balsam
Oatcake
Old Gobbo
Cassis
Marigold
Tressel
Peasblossom
The Earl of Kent
Kava Kava
Melun
Dogberry
Plumeria
Crisp Greens
Arcite
Cardamom
Hamlet
Ylang Ylang
Cinna
Tonka Bean
Torchbearers
Mustardseed
Pandar
Heliotrope
Lord Falconridge


If you think you got that 100% right, you're wrong. Answers forthcoming.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want answers!

Rowsdower said...

Email me your guesses (P for Pier 1, S for Shakespeare) and I'll mail you back the answers and your grade.